Monday, February 9, 2009

Reversing Loop

Lately I have been working on a reversing loop (that may also serve as a future helix) for my railway. It has been made from mdf and pine. This project took me a good 4 hours on Sunday but I like to think that the finished product is worth it!
Firstly I measured out the radius that I would like the loop to be (making sure all of my trains would be able to navigate it) onto the sheet of mdf that I brought from Bunnings. I needed only two supports as the mdf was so thick. A piece of pine has been dynobolted to the wall at the back for extra support also.




(The basic structure so far)
The y shape as you can see in the photo will be removable to allow for access.


The track work was installed by drilling a whole and putting screws in between the sleepers, I find this method a lot more reliable and less time consuming than gluing down the track. The turnout that you can see will be to a future extension/helix. I am using old track from my previous layout for the helix as not to let it go to waste.

(The connection to my layout)



The track work has been completed and I am cutting gaps in the rails and soldering the feeders. Now I just need to work out how to wire the bloody thing and make it operational!



1 comment:

  1. Put in a few more supports under the MDF. It will sag over time with the moisture in the air.

    ReplyDelete